Fedora extras metadata

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Fri Mar 16 07:17:47 UTC 2007

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>> What is going on with fedora extras metadata lately?
>
> Nothing. It's just the mirrors that choke on daily updates and don't sync
> safely and frequently enough.

This seems to be happening more often that we could hope for.
Is there a documented way to set up mirroring, to ENSURE that the
mirrors are in a consistent state?
If not - and I believe this has been brought up earlier (by myself). I
really think we could do with a simple timestamping mirror handshake
mechanism, kinda like what debian does. This would allow mirrors to
monitor for a special file and when that file is available, we know the
mirror is in a consistent state (as consistent as it's master - which
can also be tracked in this way). Mirrors could easily add a few lines
to their scripts to honor this kind of thing, without the need for
special mirroring tools.

Just a suggestion

/Thomas