User directories integration - request for help

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Fri Mar 16 07:52:16 UTC 2007

Hi.

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:38:00 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> > Renaming a user's directories doesn't seem to be "The UNIX Way" TM
>
> Traditional Unix systems never had to deal with many of the modern
> desktop requirements so it's high time we stopped citing the "the
> unix way" as a excuse not to change anything. All modern Linux
> desktop systems happily automount devices which is distinctly not
> unixy either. If there are real practical reasons just cite that
> specifically.

OSX gets this right, from what I remember. The applications folder is
always called "Applications" on disk, but the displayed name in Finder
(and open/save dialogs) is specific to the language settings of the
current user.

This is true for system wide folders and folders in users home dirs.

I do not know what MS does with their "Program Files" folder.