User directories integration - request for help

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Mar 16 09:05:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 20:29 +0100, nodata wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 15.03.2007, 14:03 -0400 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> > On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 11:13 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > >
> > > Any other ideas?
> >
> > Might be a good idea to give a quick explanation of what happens, and
> > what people should expect to see if they install the packages.
> >
> > Matthias
> >

> From the looks of it, the directories get continually renamed if you
> switch languages. Stay away from my home dir, use a dot file if you
> must!

I don't know where you got this idea from? Did you even try it?

What happens is this:

First time you log in, directories will be created based on the current
locale and pointers to them will be created in the file
~/.config/user-dirs.dirs. We also record the locale used in a separate
file.

The second time you log in we will only create directories specified in
the defaults file that are not listed in your ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
file. (So, you'll get new default dirs.) Directories specified in your
config file that has been removed will be changed in the config file to
point to $HOME.

If you log in a second time in a language different than the original
one you will get a dialog asking you whether you want to move to the new
locale, with a list of what would change if you did. Then you can pick,
yes, no, and "never show me this again".

At the moment the migration is kind of lame. We just create the new
folders and point to them, and the user will have to move stuff over
manually. Moving user data automatically is tricky and risky, but this
is quite lame.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a Nobel prize-winning moralistic gentleman spy on the run. She's a
sharp-shooting snooty stripper operating on the wrong side of the law. They
fight crime!