User directories integration - request for help

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Fri Mar 16 11:56:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, March 16, 2007 05:05, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> At the moment the migration is kind of lame. We just create the new
> folders and point to them, and the user will have to move stuff over
> manually. Moving user data automatically is tricky and risky, but this
> is quite lame.

This is so lame that we'd be _much_ better off not showing it to the
user -- I mean, most people can intuitively understand that once created,
things will remain like that, but most will be quite pissed off (and rightly
so) if we force them at login time to make a decision out of which one
of the choices is totally broken.

Maybe just create a "language changer" utility that the use explicitly
invokes to do the switch, so that only folks that want to change the
language of said dirs (and I'd expect them to be in the minority!) would
have to deal with it. And being invoked as an explicit migration, it can
also move the files as an explicit step that may involve the user for
further clarifications.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.