User directories integration - request for help

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Mar 16 14:00:35 UTC 2007

Le Ven 16 mars 2007 02:13, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
> André Kelpe wrote:
>
>> Because many people hate it, when something automagically clutters up
>> their home. My home is my castle :-)! I decide, not a tool, that thinks
>> it knows better than me...
>
> Desktop is the folder you would seeing on a typical desktop environment.
> Not home.

Enough people disagree with this using $HOME as default has been an option
for a very long time. Many people that promoted Desktop instead of HOME
publicly conceded the main reason was the legacy dotfoo mess in homedirs

Ironically GNOME & KDE have become complete and prevalent enough had GNOME
& KDE people decided to clean their dotdir/file use then this reason would
not stand now. Instead we hid the mess under the "Desktop" carpet and it's
still lurking there.

--
Nicolas Mailhot