Fedora extras metadata

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Fri Mar 16 17:24:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 08:17:47AM +0100, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> >>
> >>What is going on with fedora extras metadata lately?
> >
> >Nothing. It's just the mirrors that choke on daily updates and don't sync
> >safely and frequently enough.
> >
> This seems to be happening more often that we could hope for.
> Is there a documented way to set up mirroring, to ENSURE that the
> mirrors are in a consistent state?
> If not - and I believe this has been brought up earlier (by myself). I
> really think we could do with a simple timestamping mirror handshake
> mechanism, kinda like what debian does. This would allow mirrors to
> monitor for a special file and when that file is available, we know the
> mirror is in a consistent state (as consistent as it's master - which
> can also be tracked in this way). Mirrors could easily add a few lines
> to their scripts to honor this kind of thing, without the need for
> special mirroring tools.
>
> Just a suggestion

Matt Domsch is working on just such a tool and is looking to have it in
place for F7 release, afaik. The tool is Mirror Manager.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/RFR/MirrorManager

He has a beta out there, iirc. If you have python/turbogears experience,
I think he could use help on it.

--
Michael