User directories integration - request for help

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sat Mar 17 04:27:37 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 04:51 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > Well, I am long enough into this business to have an opinion on my own.
> >
> > Again: if you have an opinion then participate upstream because that is
> > where we want to solve a problems if possible. Developers in general are
> > not happy to repeat the same answers over and over again especially to
> > people "too busy" to participate in the right forum.
> You've got it, I don't have the time to participate "in every possible,
> arbitrary GUI-forum". But I am taking myself the time to warn Fedora
> devs when a Fedora dev wants to push something into Fedora, "because
> some upstream" says so.

If you had bothered to read the thread on xdg-list (which would have
taken less than an hour) you would have found that the "Fedora dev [who]
wants to push something into Fedora" is the same person who proposed the
this solution on xdg-list and, for the record, got lots of feedback from
people affiliated with KDE, XFCE, SUSE, Mandriva, Red Hat, LTSP and
others. In the same breath, Alex (aka the "Fedora dev"), is upstream for
the Gnome bits (Nautilus and the VFS) using this proposal.

It's fine to give feedback on what is flowing into Fedora (because
sometimes we want to change defaults), this is partly what we do on this
list and the Project encourages it, but if you do so without having done
your homework about you're just wasting lots of peoples time. Please
don't do that. Thanks.

     David