User directories integration - request for help

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Mar 17 05:02:56 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 00:50 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 05:35 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > I say: Alex, Matthias wake up and take off your shades. You are going to
> > commit something "stupid"!
>
> [...]
>
> > I say: They missed the lack of usefulness, because they are too focused.
>
> So the developers from the desktop projects and the distros (e.g. the
> people who participate on xdg-list) are all wrong and stupid because
> they want this feature and you don't?

_THEY_ (a small group of GUI-focused folks) want it!

What they didn't consider:
* Many USERS don't want it (I am not alone in complaining here!),
because they have been bitten by similar issues before (e.g. under
Windows and under certain apps)

* This approach will break a lot of things - Not all of this world is
GUI-apps.

Finally, please answer my question:
  "Which problem does this approach solve?"

Ralf