User directories integration - request for help

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Mar 17 05:57:53 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 01:46 -0400, Kelly wrote:
> On Saturday 17 March 2007 1:02:56 am Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > * This approach will break a lot of things - Not all of this world is
> > GUI-apps.
> >
> > Finally, please answer my question:
> >   "Which problem does this approach solve?"
> >
> > Ralf
>
> Wait, when did the world switch to using English as a universal language?
Since when has "Desktop", "Mail" or "News" been an issue?

Unix users are used to seeing them for decades - Windows aren't used to
seeing them.

> And "bitten by Windows"?  How so; Windows does exactly what you're suggesting
> here,

The old copy of Win95 I have, uses i18n'ed
directories, e.g.
Anwendungen
Netzwerkumgebung

English counterparts:
Programs
Network

> and in fact I know of cases where people have BROKEN Windows simply
> because they wanted things named in a non-English language.
Exactly - C.f. above - Push this Windows HOME onto a Samba share and
access it from different windows clients using different languages.

Ralf