User directories integration - request for help

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sat Mar 17 08:52:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 08:45:07PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> I think the point was that the arguments are already on that list where,
> for the record, highly respected GNOME, KDE, XFCE developers already
> reviewed this without objections.

The group of people you are talking about is a specific group (I will
call people in this group the desktop people). It certainly represents
a large share of users, especially users that are not unix/linux
developpers, but not all. There is a bias in this group toward things
that just work and innovation, while in other parts of the community
the priority is on user control and stability. And in general those
in the non-desktop group are not in the same forums and are specialized
in other parts of the system, and ignore the desktop until it changes
something in the design of the system that really upset them...
(as a side note this is has similarities with the issue of pam in
consolekit, for another example).

I don't think that one or the other approach are intrinsically better,
both target a different audience. Still the solution should satisfy
both communities, in my opinion.

--
Pat