User directories integration - request for help

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Mar 17 09:50:03 UTC 2007

Le samedi 17 mars 2007 à 10:17 +0100, Patrice Dumas a écrit :

> Still not something somebody not specifically interested in desktop
> would like to read.

Also it's funny the distribution that actually already tried something
like this (mandriva) on production systems used symlinks.

They are summarily dismissed afterwards because of users mounting a CIFS
home where "the remote host is having a broken/incomplete implementation
of CIFS (usually a Windows system)" (SIC). Way to go, make shell users
miserable because of this corner case (that could be handled with a
config fallback)

> Something I didn't exactly understood is how and when exactly those
> directories are to be created.

Seems this part is not hammered out yet. I'd love if it was "never
pre-create/auto-create, prompt the user to select a dir/create a new one
whenever we can't find the dir we need"

--
Nicolas Mailhot