User directories integration - request for help

Axel axel.azerty at laposte.net
Sat Mar 17 14:35:08 UTC 2007

Le samedi 17 mars 2007 à 06:57 +0100, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :
> On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 01:46 -0400, Kelly wrote:
> >
> Since when has "Desktop", "Mail" or "News" been an issue?
>
> Unix users are used to seeing them for decades - Windows aren't used to
> seeing them.
>
> > And "bitten by Windows"?  How so; Windows does exactly what you're suggesting
> > here,
>
> The old copy of Win95 I have, uses i18n'ed
> directories, e.g.
> Anwendungen
> Netzwerkumgebung
>
> English counterparts:
> Programs
> Network
>
> > and in fact I know of cases where people have BROKEN Windows simply
> > because they wanted things named in a non-English language.
> Exactly - C.f. above - Push this Windows HOME onto a Samba share and
> access it from different windows clients using different languages.
>
> Ralf

Just my 2 cents about this, I'm just a "lambda" user, and such
directories would be a good thing for me. I wonder just : what for is
the translation needed ? Just for GUIs I think. If Fedora targets mainly
"lambda users", the use of console shouldn't be a focus. I think someone
able to use the console, would be able to understand "Documents",
"Mails", "Pictures", and so on, even if he (or she) is japanese. So why
not don't care about the physical name, and why not just use the same
system MacOSX use, i.e. translate only for GUIed applications?

Make these directories as default directories like explained by someone
(alan cox iirc) for widely used applications would be a good thing, off
course for my personnal case.

(please excuse my poor english)

Axel