User directories integration - request for help

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 09:04:50 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 10:21 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 10:05 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > Having them set at first login (first not every) when your account gets
> > all the desktop setup works as they then keep stable names. Having the
> > ability in Nastilus to do
> >
> > 	right-click->Make this the default for->[Downloads|Photos|Music...]
> >
> > lets you do any renaming in a natural discoverable fashion
>
> +1 I want to be able to decide what names these folders have, or if I
> want them at all (I'd probably choose not to have them, or to put them
> in a place and in a language of my own)

This would never be possible with an english on disk solution, but is
perfectly (and extremely simple!) with the current solution. I'm not
sure what you are arguing against.

> Connecting them to the locale Is very stupid. I use when I install,
> because I can't stand the way most of the things are translated in
> Italian, but then I use some Italian names for some of my folders.

There are multiple options:
1) Use an english locale
2) Rename the folders to whatever you want
   Just renaming it in nautilus will work fine.
   If you do it in a shell you need to also edit the config file.
3) Don't use the user directories
   Two approaches possible:
   a) disabling the feature in the system config file
   b) just remove the directories, they won't be recreated

> I would get really really mad if switching english->italian->english I'd
> found out that some smart utility changed my folder names!

No such automatic switching is done, as I have said previously.

To handle the case where you initially log in in English before later
swtiching to your final locale we do however ask you on login if you
want to switch to the new directory names. Just click on "no" (which is
the default) and select "never ask me this again".

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a sword-wielding devious cowboy on the wrong side of the law. She's a
sharp-shooting blonde vampire married to the Mob. They fight crime!