too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Mar 19 10:56:18 UTC 2007

> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 15:21 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> >> Extra - cpuspeed. mdmonitor, netfs, ntpd, portmap.
> > No portmap => no nis, no nfs, no rpc.
>
> Again, This live CD is meant for a desktop. You can always enable it if
> you need it.

"desktop" doesn't mean "standalone".

nfs, nis, rpc are used by desktops once they integrate into a network.

> >> Default? - Possibly NetworkManagerDispatcher since
> >> NetworkManager is enabled by default
> > Disable this. It has never worked for me anywhere and is the first
> > daemon I disable after FC installs.
>
> You will have to look beyond just your personal consideration. It works
> for me. Bug reports?
If there was something to report, I would have done so.

When ever I enable Network Manager, for me, absolutely NOTHING
network-related works. I.e. NetworkManager for me works SO POOR, I can't
even test nor report bugs (It is seemingly screwing up on several things
at the same time. Amongst them DHCP, NIS, DNS and network interfaces - I
even saw network device names change at run-time).

> > You are scratching on the surface of a weak spot in Fedora.
>
> I checked all the daemons and listing the ones find I found
> unnecessarily enabled for a desktop.
That's why I say "weak spot" - There is no "one-fits-all set of daemons
to enable/disable" - Each situation is different, but there is hardly
any means to customize an installation for an individual situation
during installation with Fedora.

Ralf