User directories integration - request for help

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 11:05:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 11:40 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:35:10AM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > I don't think this is largely different from creating them at login.
> > Many dirs will be created at first login anyway (Desktop, Templates,
> > maybe Public), and others will be created as you go. Seems very similar
>
> Why should those dirs be created?

Because they would be created on use, and they are used at login.

> > to the create-at-login approach except the code needs to be duplicated
> > all over the place and the homedirectory is slowly modified over time
> > instead of just once.
>
> It is very different for the user who want to keep control over their
> desktop.

If you want to keep control of your desktop its better to have them all
initially and then clean them up to how you want them all at the same
time. I.e. log in, remove or rename dirs, keep on with life. In a
dynamic model you constantly have to keep a watch for newly created
directories.

> > While we scan the list of the users already configured directories we
> > call stat() to see if they are stale, if so we reset it to something
> > that is not stale. How is an if and a stat "magic".
>
> How do you distinguish between new directory to be created and directory
> removed? Because a removed directory ios already in the config file,
> and a directory to be added is not in the config file?

Yes.

 Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat,
Inc
                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a suave white trash firefighter from the 'hood. She's a
time-travelling
red-headed mechanic in the wrong place at the wrong time. They fight
crime!