User directories integration - request for help

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Mar 19 11:13:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 12:12:45PM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> Its because the user who wants to keep control of his homedirectory is
> extremely likely to be an experienced user who can easily handle
> customizing or removing these directories. However for an unexperienced

Not necessarily. Now I know about this because I read on devel list,
but imagine I wouldn't, what would have happened is the day I start
gnomme instead of fluxbox I would have those directories created. And
I wouldn't have known if I was likely to screw things if I remove them.

> user for whom it would be useful to have some initial folder structure
> it would be unlikely that they even found the feature if it had to be
> enabled manually.

I am not advocating doing things manually, but through file-selector
defaults.

> One thing i can't understand is how so many people who like to keep
> control of their homedir are so attached to the english-on-disk model,

That's not my case, though. I don't have any idea on that subject.

> because in that model you can't ever set things up how you'd like them.
> You're forced into a static hierarchy. At least my solution lets you set
> things up how you want it.

At the expense of having directories created at the first login in
GNOME.

--
Pat