too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 14:26:39 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer writes:
 > On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 13:28 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Ralf Corsepius writes:
 > >
 > >  > >From my experience (I've used Fedora with both ISDN and with
 > >  > DSL Lite), Fedora with ISDN or modem is plain unusable, with
 > >  > "DSL Lite", the situation is "bearable", but isn't fun (an
 > >  > openoffice update takes a working-day).
 > >
 > > So don't do that, then.  Fedora doesn't require anyone to yum
 > > update openoffice.
 >
 > That isn't a particularly helpful comment.

Look at it this way: if you really need openoffice updated, then
update it.  But saying that Fedora *requires* broadband because only
then can you have continuous updates is nonsense.  What about everyone
else in the world?  *Of course* it's good to have updates, and
everybody who can get them should, but is it really so important that
without them one would rather not even boot Fedora/whatever?

 > Telling people to not update packages is actually really bad.

We're talking about people who claim they can't get updates.

 > Think of security issues, etc.  The kernel itself is 16MiB or so,
 > and that can't be a speed download on a link like that either.
 >
 > Anyway, there really isn't a nice solution to the problem but
 > blatantly telling someone "don't do that" is pretty asinine.

That's an opinion you get to have.

Andrew.