too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Mar 19 14:50:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 14:26 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Josh Boyer writes:
>  > On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 13:28 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
>  > > Ralf Corsepius writes:
>  > >
>  > >  > >From my experience (I've used Fedora with both ISDN and with
>  > >  > DSL Lite), Fedora with ISDN or modem is plain unusable, with
>  > >  > "DSL Lite", the situation is "bearable", but isn't fun (an
>  > >  > openoffice update takes a working-day).
>  > >
>  > > So don't do that, then.  Fedora doesn't require anyone to yum
>  > > update openoffice.
>  >
>  > That isn't a particularly helpful comment.
>
> Look at it this way: if you really need openoffice updated, then
> update it.
Well, then you might be able to answer why Core has replaced ca. half of
the core distro since FC6's initial roll-out if there weren't sufficient
reasons to do so?

>   But saying that Fedora *requires* broadband because only
> then can you have continuous updates is nonsense.
Your opinion.

IMO, fedora is not usable without "rolling" updates, which are
impossible to do without sufficient bandwidth.

Selective updates is an escape to isolated cases (such as openoffice or
eclipse) but aren't a suitable approach as a general solution.

Ralf