too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 16:40:06 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:
> Hardware specific - Bluetooth (along with hidd), cups (FC6 even had
> smartcard daemon by default). Should check and enable on demand

Right. Heck, it's on the feature list. You have patches? :)

> Definitely superfluous - firstboot, livecd. Should disable after first
> run completely or even remove the packages.

These don't do anything at all post-boot - the impact is minimal.
You could configure the livecd installer to disable this after install.

> Extra - cpuspeed.

Needed.

> mdmonitor

Should probably be spawned off via udev rules.

> , netfs, portmap.

netfs does jack if noone has configured anything. Again, minimal impact.

portmap is needed for NFS, ypbind, etc.

> ntpd

I suppose firstboot could disable it if you don't configure it.

Bill