Announcing yum-merge-conf, a yum plugin to merge configuration files

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Mon Mar 19 22:09:16 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Is there any quick way to test this plugin?

Yes, just install this rpm (it's two files, the plugin and the ini file, no
scriptlets)
Then, you'll have to trigger the .rpm{save,new}-creating behavior by
installing an old version of an rpm which has %config files, modifying one
of them, and upgrading to a newer version using "yum --merge-conf update
thepackage"
RPM should create an .rpm{save,orig} file, which should be picked up by the
plugins, and then you'll see what happens.

I've been using it for a few days now, it seems to work fine for me.
I'm very interested by any feedback.

Thanks
Aurélien
http://aurelien.bompard.org  ~~~~  Jabber : abompard at jabber.fr
"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things." -- Doug Gwyn