too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 23:23:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 12:31:55PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
 > On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 12:29 +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:
 > > JB> cpuspeed is very useful, especially in the case of a laptop which
 > > JB> several people use as their desktop. Your narrow definition of a
 > > JB> desktop is perhaps too limiting.
 > >
 > > cpuspeed really isn't optional on modern desktop machines either.
 > > Rahul Sundaram may have lots of machines with fixed clockspeeds, but
 > > that is no reason to not support newer stuff.
 >
 > GNOME Power Manager can control CPU speed with policy set in the
 > session, usually saving power more aggressively than cpuspeed. It also
 > has the benefit of using a HAL addon rather than a system service, which
 > is only loaded if the machine is frequency scale supported.

It does that by checking for existance of files in sysfs doesn't it?
If so, nuking the cpuspeed service will break that, as the modules won't
get loaded, and the sysfs files won't exist.

 > So really, I think the system daemon can be stopped by default, and
 > leave it there if some admin wants to install it on a big server.

Read the initscript. In some cases it doesn't start the daemon but
sets up the kernel ondemand module.  (You don't want ondemand on all
scaling implementations due to latency reasons).

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk