Filesystem-local databases in mlocate

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 13:22:01 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 14:02 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:

> The default setup should asume the worst, e.g. have the indexes owned
> by root:root, so no remote fs old or new will be able to access the
> data if the admin of the server doesn't allow it.

Which kind of defeats the whole thing of having per FS locatedbs ... and
is a temptation for admins to change it to nobody:nobody and give away
info easily without fully recognizing the security problem.

However, I see the value for those 0.01% users using clustered file
systems. So, if we stop talking about net FSs and instead we talk about
SANs and GFS/GPFS/Lustre/OCFS2/whatever, I think it makes more sense :)

Simo.