too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Mar 20 16:15:41 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote :

> Matthias Saou (thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net) said:
> > > We already have a 3rd result, 'warning', but...
> >
> > We also have that yellow [PASSED] :-)
> > I have no idea what the initial idea behind it was. Maybe notting knows.
>
> fsck - the fs wasn't clean, but it was cleaned up.

Oh, I don't recall having ever seen it :-)

> > - If the service is enabled :
> >   - If the relevant hardware is present, start the service
> >   - If the relevant hardware isn't present, skip starting the service
>
> Isn't this essentially what we do now in the individual scripts?

For some fixed hardware, yes, but not for hot pluggable hardware like
bluetooth, smartcard etc. where the daemons are started anyway in the
eventuality that the hardware gets added after the boot.

This is the best that can be done for now, but does lead to useless
daemons running, taking up boot time and system memory. I'm really
looking forward for the day we can start services only when the
hardware they need gets plugged in.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6
Load : 0.38 0.39 0.45