Mount fixed partitions by default for F7. Was: [BUG] Mounted partitions are not showing up and CD/DVD link not correct

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Mar 21 02:51:12 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 10:32:48PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Btw, consolehelper / usermode can be considered that "helper" but one of
> the primary reasons that it's bad is that it launches an X11 running as
> root. This means that a) the app is not accessible; b) the toolkit gets
> confused and you get e.g. "root"'s home in the file chooser; c) things
> like gconf don't work; d) it's generally a bad idea to run GTK+ apps as
> root (image loaders, the sheer size of code running as uid 0 etc.); and
> many other reasons.

Right, I think everyone who isn't at least on this page needs to *get
there*. This is basically the definition of the problem to be solved, from
my point of view.

> I know some people still think that consolehelper is "good enough". I'm
> not terribly interested in discussing that...

A convenient feature of consolehelper is that it works on unmodified code --
it's effectively like aliasing selected applications to "sudo application".
Or "gksudo application" really. At doing that, it's "good enough". The
problem is: no one should really be doing that.

But I don't see a reason consolehelper/usermode couldn't exist in parallel
until apps are ported to a user-front-end/root-mode-helper architecture.