Launching g-p-m in gdm, Was: too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Mar 21 11:08:49 UTC 2007

On 21.03.2007 11:35, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 11:22 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> P.S.: I'd further say the cpufreq stuff should be enabled early in the
>> boot-process -- gdm seems quite late for me.
>
> At startup we are not idle, or at least shouldn't be, and we gain little
> from switching to a different governor at startup in my opinion.

Sure, but we need to set one afaics because...

> Whilst we are in the initscripts we *should* be at 100% utilization on
> as many CPUs as we have for speed, so power saving doesn't really apply.

...we are I/O bound often during startup afaics (at least these days)
and the CPU is often fast enough when on lower frequency.

Currently the default kernel gov is userspace:

$ grep DEFAULT_GOV /boot/config-2.6.20-1.2997.fc7
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y

So no power savings until something takes care of it afaics (or am I
wrong with that? anyway, that could probably easily be adjusted until F8).

CU
thl