Quota per directory

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Mar 21 15:00:38 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 02:14am, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Coming from a systems administration background, I was very surprised to
> find out that fedora (well Linux actually) doesn't have a per directory
> quota. It is very common and needed IMHO to have a quota per directory, as
> the directory basically represents a project some people are working on.
> One would want to make sure that a certain project would not consume all
> disk space. Only XFS seemed to have per "project" quota (I even think the
> Linux implementation doesn't have that!)

Linux "only" has per-filesystem quota support.  You're asking for what's
called "tree quotas" support.

> Is there any technical reason why ext3 does not offer such functionality,

AIUI, tree quota implementations found in commercial UNIX systems have a very
large impact on filesystem performance.  The per-filesystem quotas have very
little impact on performance.

> or has it just not been done?

I've been told that there is development work underway (for several years now)
to create a tree quotas implementation for Linux, but that those doing the
work are only going to release it if they can do it without the massive
performance overhead typicall of the commercial UNIX implementations.

> Is anyone aware of any patches to add such
> functionality?

AFAIK (and with just a quick Google search), there are no tree quotas
implementations for Linux that are "off the ground" and running yet.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.