Which unresolved bugs block a release?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 03:04:36 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 22:51:39 John Poelstra wrote:
> This raised a few questions for me:
> 1) Is there a mechanism to know which of the bugs above must be fixed or
> FC7 to GA?

Nothing formal.  As we start looking that way a few people generally shuffle
through the "Blocker" list to look for actual blockers and get rid of the
noise.  Since there is no committee that decides what is or isn't a blocker
we can't just take every bug as an actual blocker.

> 2) What process do we go through to close these bugs?

Really, that depends on the bug.  Generally we fix it, or find a suitable work
around.

> 3) How does Fedora decide a release is ready to GA?

Release Engineering in conjunction with QA typically come to an agreement that
the tree is "good enough".  Sometimes we have to kick decisions up to the
board on what to do about remaining issues.

> 4) How are bugs from previous releases considered in the planning process?

They aren't really, officially.  We try to fix the big glaring ones
immediately after the release to prevent them from happening again the next
time.  Some previous "blockers" are moved to the next blocker set to be
reviewed later.

Unlike with RHEL, there is no real good management of the blocker/target bugs
for Fedora.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora