Quota per directory

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Thu Mar 22 13:45:09 UTC 2007

Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2007 02:14am, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> > Coming from a systems administration background, I was very surprised to
> > find out that fedora (well Linux actually) doesn't have a per directory
> > quota. It is very common and needed IMHO to have a quota per directory, as
> > the directory basically represents a project some people are working on.
> > One would want to make sure that a certain project would not consume all
> > disk space. Only XFS seemed to have per "project" quota (I even think the
> > Linux implementation doesn't have that!)
>
> Linux "only" has per-filesystem quota support.  You're asking for what's
> called "tree quotas" support.

And that is nonsense, as a file /doesn't/ exist "in a directory", the
directory only holds the name and a reference to the actual file. So, a
file can exist under many different names in assorted directories (hard
links). How do you acount for that? Can't count it N times if there are N
links, but if you count each link 1/N, deleting stuff here may get you past
quota elsewhere (even other people who happen to link to the same file).
Not nice.