Which unresolved bugs block a release?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 22 18:07:00 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 19:00 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 March 2007 12:29:42 John Poelstra wrote:
> >> Has the project discussed or determined how we will:
> >> 1) Close out the approximately 7,000+ open bugs?
> >> 2) Handle future releases in a way that the backlog doesn't get so high?
> >
> > Do you have any ideas?  You're part of the projet.
> >

> This is something which has amazed / annoyed me too, I've tried several times
> to start a community effort to something about this metric, but sofar with
> little success.
>
> These bugs fall into 2 categories:
> 1) Bugs which are simply being ignored by @redhat.com people who need to be hit
>     with the cluebat (repeatedly)

Don't make statements like that.  They aren't helpful in any manner.
You cannot claim that they are intentionally ignoring them.  Hitting
people with the "update your bugs" cluebat that have a massive amount of
bugs simply does not work and does not help solve the problem.

> 2) Really really hard bugs (think xorg / kernel / hal /mkinitrd)
>
> Most likely a lot of 1) bugs are already solved but never got closed /
> retested, others should be taken upstream (and thus closed in Fedora BZ), etc.

If a lot of 1) bugs are already solved, anyone within the 'fedorabugs'
group can act as a proxy to close them out.  Team effort would be a very
good thing I think.

josh