Which unresolved bugs block a release?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 19:25:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 01:06:41PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

 > If this is a weekly thing I would also like to see trying to help out
 > some of the packages that just have way too many bugs for any single
 > mantainer to deal with... rpm, kernel, etc.

I've been toying with the idea of a 'kernel bug day' thing for a while.
Whilst a lot of those bugs are really nasty horrible bugs that you
really need to understand kernel code for, there's quite a bit of
grunt work that I'd be happy to farm out to eager helpers.

Things like ..
* marking bugs that have patches in them more prominently,
* adding bugs to the 'meta' bugs (cf, the alias 'FCMETA_ACPI'),
* making sure relevant people are cc'd/assigned.
* going through old bugs and asking reporters to retest with
  the latest updates
* closing out bugs that have been in NEEDINFO forever.
* forwarding bug reports upstream to linux-kernel / maintainers / kernel.org
  bugzilla.

It's real painstaking work to do that sort of thing, and I'd rather
be actually fixing bugs.

The last time I did some stats, the kernel had more bugs assigned
against it than any other package.  It's constantly inundated
with new reports coming in faster than we can close out old ones,
so any help on keeping this managable so that we can actually
see the bugs that matter would be much appreciated.

I'm on pseudo-vacation next week, but I think we should give
this a shot when I get back.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk