Which unresolved bugs block a release?

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 19:37:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 15:25 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 01:06:41PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
>  > If this is a weekly thing I would also like to see trying to help out
>  > some of the packages that just have way too many bugs for any single
>  > mantainer to deal with... rpm, kernel, etc.
>
> I've been toying with the idea of a 'kernel bug day' thing for a while.
> Whilst a lot of those bugs are really nasty horrible bugs that you
> really need to understand kernel code for, there's quite a bit of
> grunt work that I'd be happy to farm out to eager helpers.
>
> Things like ..
> * marking bugs that have patches in them more prominently,
> * adding bugs to the 'meta' bugs (cf, the alias 'FCMETA_ACPI'),
> * making sure relevant people are cc'd/assigned.
> * going through old bugs and asking reporters to retest with
>   the latest updates
> * closing out bugs that have been in NEEDINFO forever.
> * forwarding bug reports upstream to linux-kernel / maintainers / kernel.org
>   bugzilla.
>
> It's real painstaking work to do that sort of thing, and I'd rather
> be actually fixing bugs.

We've got plenty of eager helpers (myself included!). We'll just need
some guidance to know which bucket to put stuff in.

> I'm on pseudo-vacation next week, but I think we should give
> this a shot when I get back.

Absolutely! I dunno which time zone you're in at the moment, so pick a
time next Friday (or whatever day works for you). We'll get the word
out. Hopefully we can do this regularly.

-w