Quota per directory

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Thu Mar 22 21:45:28 UTC 2007

On Thursday 22 March 2007 02:41pm, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 13:23 -0400, Oisin Feeley wrote:
> > On 3/22/07, Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > [snip condition which must be true for any quota scheme ;)]

> > Unmanageable because of the claimed fsck speed issue mentioned by the
> > OP or unmanageable because the admin would have to keep track of his
> > large number of logical volumes?
>
> Unmanageable because they are too many.
> Unmanageable because it is a too rigid policy and you don't even have
> soft quotas

No true.  Linux quotas support both soft and hard limits, though I never set
soft to anything but the same value as hard, personally (some do and it is
useful).

> Unmanageable because if the needs of some groups change you have to
> actually resize file systems to give the more space

Which points out that quotas are not needed at all if you just do per-project
LVs.  When they need space, run lvextend and resize the filesystem.  That's
it and you don't have to unmount anything.

> It's a hackish mess :)
> Group quotas are easier.

Can be.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.