SoC idea: Review Web App

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 22:35:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 13:36 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> * Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> [2007-03-21 20:38]:
> >
> > Trying to do the whole thing as a SoC project is, I think, overzealous.
> > I'd like to see a definition of what we want to achieve and what
> > existing systems it will tie into.
>
> I was envisioning just the review process itself for a SoC project.

Yah.  My point is that this ties into a lot of other projects, some
finished and some ongoing.  What are the goals of the web app?  To move
away from bugzilla?  Which features in particular are not meeting our
needs on bugzilla and which does bugzilla do well?  What do we want to
do with the data from reviews?  If we tie this into preapproval builds,
do we have to do reviews of untrusted packages before submitting to mock
or is mock sufficiently secure to do a build up front?

Work done on moinmoin, or backup software in previous iterations of the
SoC were largely independent of what we do with the rest of Fedora.  A
Review Web App sits squarely in the middle of it.  The mentor for this
project needs to be aware of where they want the application to connect
to other Fedora services and how it's supposed to improve on the current
experience.

Which is not to discourage you from pushing this as a project.  Bugzilla
has shortcomings as a reviewing location.  But there's more to this than
a better UI.  Defining what the app needs to solve will allow for
defining what a successful project will look like rather than sticking
some poor student in the middle of a bunch of competing interests with
no clear idea of what they need to do to create some software that we'll
be able to start using when they're done.

-Toshio