Presto logging

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Mon Mar 26 13:21:56 UTC 2007

Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 08:52 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 11:26 +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
>>> Also, our test server is syncing updates and extras every six hours.
>>> Does anyone know if there's a way for the fedoraproject servers to push
>>> updates rather than our polling?
>> There's not
>>
>> Jeremy
>>
> Bummer.  I guess we get to work with what we've got then.  Is six hours
> a good mirror timetable?
>
> Jonathan

This brings up (again) the discussion of whether if would be worth
adding sync-flag semantics to the way we mirror (like what debian has
been doing for years). That would allow downstream mirrors to monitor
for a specific file every hour or so, and when that file exists with an
updated timestamp (or something) then we can be sure that the mirror has
finished it's own sync. The downstream mirror can then (more) reliably
perform it's own sync, sleep for some hours and start all over again. So
while we're still polling for updates, the risk of ending with an
inconsistent mirror is reduced.

If this was implemented on all mirrors, we could effectively and very
simply decrease mirroring bandwidth, improve mirror reliability/quality,
reduce the number of update problems due to incomplete mirroring etc etc.

By now it should not be a big surprise, that I think this could be a
good idea. I'll just keep pointing out situations where this could make
a positive difference. ;-)

/Thomas