FC-6 NetworkManager needs some love

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 16:23:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 17:48 +0200, Andrea Dell'Amico wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 11:37 -0400, Will Woods wrote:

> > > No, that's by design. gnome-power-manager tells gnome-keyring to "lock"
> > > on suspend for security. See gnome bug #375681.
> >
> > Ugh. Is that going to be configurable? I personally kind of hate that,
> > and besides - the screen locks when you suspend anyway, so your network
> > session should be plenty secure...
>
> Why don't you use pam-keyring?

There are some issues with using pam-keyring for NetworkManager and a
Screensaver right now.  NetworkManager comes up and tries to connect
immediately on resume, and before a password has been input to unlock
the screensaver and presumably the keyring.  This means that nm-applet
has already asked gnome-keyring-daemon for a password and because of
this gkd has prompted to input a password.

We are working on a better integration of pam-keyring and fedora that
should hopefully tie this all into a nice little package.  We aren't
there yet, but it is on the radar.

Jon