hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Bernard Johnson bjohnson-dated-1172832473.ba5e95 at symetrix.com
Tue Mar 27 01:56:10 UTC 2007

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 23:38 +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 18:36 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>> PS And no, I did not do an exhaustive search through all the menus
>>> before making the comment about the icon. If the VNC icon is just a
>>> company icon in disguise, the same comment applies there too.
>> If it's about the icon, I can put a different icon in there if you like.
>>

> No, it is not just about the icon. David gave a somewhat ranty summary
> of the issues further up in this thread...

I read this as "so the software suck, let's not add an icon so the users
of that software can get to it easily".

Which, btw, is fine with me, as I have the 2.5 braincells needed to find
it.  However, with an attitude like this, the "Fedora on the desktop"
idea is a fallacy as long as standard

Scenario #1
User: "When I click on a .mp3 file, I get an error, why doesn't this work"
Reason: It's not legal to distribute mp3 codecs.
Acceptable?:  What other choice do we have? (yes CodeBuddy is being
worked on but it's not a reality yet)

Scenario #2
User: "I could fax/get status/copy with my HP xxx printer in Windows but
in Linux it only prints"
Reason: We have a vendetta against HP and refuse to put the icon on the
menu because in our eyes the software sucks (although it does work).
[therefore user has to learn commands like rpm -ql package to find out
what is available]
Acceptable?: ? I don't think so, but it certainly looks like I'm in the
minority.

Seriously, you want me to list everything about Fedora that sucks yet
gets a place on the menu?

No, probably not.

Level the playing field, everyone will benefit.