hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Bernard Johnson bjohnson-dated-1172832473.ba5e95 at symetrix.com
Tue Mar 27 05:38:48 UTC 2007

David Zeuthen wrote:
>>> No, I'm not the hplip package owner in any distribution and I just came
>>> across this when looking at doing the ACL support things in HAL for
>>> SANE. I'll probably try to talk to them, I was just shocked we actually
>>> ship these bits.
>> I expect you will be pleased with their openness and responsiveness to
>> making things right.  Which is exactly why I queried if you had
>> expressed your concerns to them.
>
> Good to hear. I'm still not the hplip package maintainer though.

Well, I'm not either :)  But I've had *some* interaction with them.  I
only mention this because, by your own admission, you will likely end up
in the same boat.

You might be interested in this thread:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.printing.hplip.devel/353

where David Suffield says "... we have learned a lot since we have
started the HPLIP project and we have learned what is useful and what is
not, so we are looking into the possibility of a daemon-less version of
HPLIP."

If you feel strongly about the way that hplip /should/ work, I urge you
to contact them with your views.