hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Tue Mar 27 06:47:51 UTC 2007

Bernard Johnson wrote:
> David Zeuthen wrote:
>> Now, if only HP would play nicely with the open source community and
>> _just_ provide only drivers instead of reinventing the wheel by
>
> Well, I'm sure you're just emphatic about "better software" but I think
> it comes across as looking a gift horse in the mouth.  I mean, what do
> you want, junk the hp software and then I can have the same printing
> capabilities as when I had this:
> http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_3100

(disclaimer: i'm not actually using the hp software...)

But, the whole analogy to looking a gift horse in the mouth is somewhat
mute here, wouldn't you say? Just because corp XYZ throws a pile of
software at the open source community, doesn't mean we have to embrace
it if we don't like it. This is not a gift from anyones grandma, but
from a manufacturer that just wants an easy to use toolset for linux
users. The cause is noble enough, but if the software is less than
ideal, which it appears to be in this case, we are free to choose to do
whatever we want with it.

/Thomas