Initscripts and LSB compliance

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 08:03:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 09:51:25AM +0200, Michal Marciniszyn wrote:
> due to my recent investigations, nearly none of the initscripts that we
> have included in RHEL/Fedora are LSB (Linux Standard Base) compliant.
> I'm not talking about problems with %config stuff, but about the
> functionality of the scripts. Main problems are constructions like

Why does this matter?  The init scripts in RHEL/Fedora aren't meant to be
run on any LSB compliant distro, they are meant to be run on RHEL/Fedora.
All we should care is that you can install a LSB compliant application
on our distro and that it's LSB compliant init script will work as
required by LSB.

> [ -f /etc/service_conffile ] || exit 0

The fewer commands the script runs the shorter is the startup time,
something we really care about.

	Jakub