Initscripts and LSB compliance

Michal Marciniszyn mmarcini at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 08:13:05 UTC 2007

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 09:51:25AM +0200, Michal Marciniszyn wrote:
>
>> due to my recent investigations, nearly none of the initscripts that we
>> have included in RHEL/Fedora are LSB (Linux Standard Base) compliant.
>> I'm not talking about problems with %config stuff, but about the
>> functionality of the scripts. Main problems are constructions like
>>

> Why does this matter?  The init scripts in RHEL/Fedora aren't meant to be
> run on any LSB compliant distro, they are meant to be run on RHEL/Fedora.
> All we should care is that you can install a LSB compliant application
> on our distro and that it's LSB compliant init script will work as
> required by LSB.

What if LSB compliant application needs correct return codes of stripts
that initialize the services (if something is broken)? And btw. there
are guidelines for initscripts in RHEL that are equivalent to LSB and
directly points you to LSB... I can give you link if you're interested.

>> [ -f /etc/service_conffile ] || exit 0
>>

> The fewer commands the script runs the shorter is the startup time,
> something we really care about.
>
> 	Jakub

That is true, however, previous construction is completely wrong if you
think about it... It is just same as if for example ifconfig eth0 up
returns code 0 when eth0 does not exist.

--mm