Initscripts and LSB compliance

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Tue Mar 27 12:35:46 UTC 2007

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 09:51:25AM +0200, Michal Marciniszyn wrote:
>> due to my recent investigations, nearly none of the initscripts that we
>> have included in RHEL/Fedora are LSB (Linux Standard Base) compliant.
>> I'm not talking about problems with %config stuff, but about the
>> functionality of the scripts. Main problems are constructions like
>
> Why does this matter?  The init scripts in RHEL/Fedora aren't meant to be
> run on any LSB compliant distro, they are meant to be run on RHEL/Fedora.
> All we should care is that you can install a LSB compliant application
> on our distro and that it's LSB compliant init script will work as
> required by LSB.

LSB is a standard that we should follow as closely as it makes sense (at
least). In this case it makes perfect sense to obey the LSB rules, as
that would make all our initscripts behave in the same way for the same
results.

>> [ -f /etc/service_conffile ] || exit 0
>
> The fewer commands the script runs the shorter is the startup time,
> something we really care about.

Returning the right value for a given error is not something that with
hit you with a performance penalty. :o)

/Thomas