Presto logging

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Tue Mar 27 20:28:30 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 March 2007 00:59:57 Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
>> as long as
>> he remembers to put a simple date in a file, when he's done.
>
> Which calls for special syncing.  And there is no guarantee that they'll
> create the date file before or after the sync, so we'll still have to
> validate the age of the repomd files.

That's the whole point. We need to specify/document/demand the order in
which the sync phases are carried out (remove date file, sync, create
date file). The sync part is entirely up to the mirror admin, but the
other parts are not. For a mirror to be considered official, they'd have
to obey to these rules (I can't imagine, creating a timestamped file
would be a huge obstacle for most mirrorsites). The date of the
repomd.xml file is really another issue. It'll let you know the age of
the repository contents, but it's not suitable for checking mirror sync
status since you'd need to remove it for sync, and thus disabling the
use of your mirror for updating, while syncing. Various different
approaches can be taken to make this better, but IMO, none that I've
seen or heard are as simple as the date file method.

/Thomas