Presto logging

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 06:15:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 07:56 +0200, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Sounds great, I'll give it a whirl once 0.3.0 hits the server :)
>
> But I wonder, since we only specify the updatedir (cwd) and the target
> DRPMS dir, how does it know what packages to build base the delta on?
> Does it use whatever is installed or in the core repo or something?
>
> And here is a thought-up scenario :
>
> - base install includes a package called xxx-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm (100MB)
> - then an update is released called xxx-1.0.0-2.i386.rpm (100 MB)
> - then an update is released called xxx-1.0.0-3.i386.rpm (100 MB)
> - then an update is released called xxx-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm (101 MB)
>
> The currently installed systems could be on any one of the 3 previous
> versions of xxx. So to be able to use drpms for package xxx for any
> system, we'd need several drpm packages to be able to use drpms for all
> systems?
>
> At least, these drpms would then be required, right?
> 1.0.0-1 -> 1.0.1-1
> 1.0.0-2 -> 1.0.1-1
> 1.0.0-3 -> 1.0.1-1
>
> Or does it work differently? Perhaps I'm just missing an important piece
> of information here? ;o)
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> /Thomas

Okay, I'm going to answer what I *think* you're asking, but I'm not
sure.  In your scenario (which is what I'm using on the test server),
createprestorepo.py would create all three drpms (though some thought
needs to go into how we're going to trim them in the future).

As for making the drpms for core => updates, I took the lazy way out.  I
just mirrored core and updates all into the same local directory on the
test server.  Then, createprestorepo was able to find all the update
paths.

There are obviously better ways of doing this, but I've been focusing on
the client rather than the server at the moment.

Jonathan