kernel config question

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Mar 28 08:29:03 UTC 2007

> > But changes to environment variables in the hotplug script >
> invocations shouldn't hurt, right?
>
> No, but that's not the reason we have DEPRECATED on.

OK, thanks for the information. I've committed a crappy hack which
disables those extra environment variables (the ones which
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED enables). It's those which were crashing the
kernel.

It's not the _correct_ fix, because the crash is just a _symptom_ of the
fact that somewhere in that sysfs mess we have a pointer to freed
memory. But at least it prevents the kernel from crashing, which is
probably a good thing in the short term.

Once I've finished bringing up the PlayStation 3, I'll have time to go
back and investigate all the non-ppc-specific bugs I've been finding in
my rawhide testing, including this one.

--
dwmw2