hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Mar 28 14:53:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 09:03:18AM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:

> It does not, go back and read the GPL, the GPL does not apply to other
> programs/binaries source even if shipped on the same medium. And a
> package is a sort of convenience medium you use to ship sources.

That's certainly what is debatable. Is everything in a src.rpm
covered by the clause 3.b of the GPL.? I thought so, but I may
be wrong. Here is the clause:

    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.

> part of the package) and ship them. If one is GPLed the other does not
> become automatically GPLed (that would be viral! But the GPL is not).

The GPL is viral as the above clause shows, the issue is: is
a src.rpm 'mere aggregation' or a 'work distributed and published...'
I thought that it wasn't mere agregation and that it had to conform
to the clause 3.b. I may be wrong. In any case I think that it could
only be a court that would definitly settle such issue.

--
Pat