Opinions: Providing "buildsys-macros" in the installed system

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 23:34:05 UTC 2007

In our buildsystem we use a 'buildsys-macros' package that defines some things
during the package builds, like the definition of %{dist}, and of %{fedora}
or %{rhel}.  Now we're talking about adding even more macros to add
convenience for packagers that are packaging the same thing for multiple
Fedora releases and RHEL releases (Hurray EPEL!).

However, with more of these macros in use, the usage case of rebuilding the
srpms on your local system starts to get harder, as these macros will be
undefined and you'll have interesting results.  Perhaps surprising results.
I propose we ship these macros in something like redhat-rpm-config for each
release, so that when somebody is rebuilding a package on their system, the
macros are defined correctly for whatever release they are running.  If they
are rebuilding for another release/distribution, they really should be using
mock, and having redhat-rpm-config define the right things within their mock
chroot.

In the past I remember there being resistance to shipping these on the
installed system, however my Test3 addled brain is not able to recall what
those are.  Are there any differing opinions on this matter, anybody that
disagrees with me?  I'd love to hear it and thought out reasons against
taking the step.

Thanks!
--
Jesse Keating