hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 29 00:08:47 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating <jkeating <at> redhat.com> writes:
> "use cups".  That's helpful.  I use the print administration tool found in my
> menu.  I don't care what backend that uses, I just want the printer to work.
> I did add the printer via this backend, and being cluefull I know it uses
> cups.  However even after added and the daemons running and such, printing
> working fine, hp-toolbox STILL can't find it at all, and thus I can't even
> look at all those wizbang features you mentioned where possible.

HP USB printers can be addressed by 2 ways:
* the default CUPS usb:/ transport
* the hplip hp:/ transport
With the usb:/ transport, printing will work, but anything beyond that won't.
(In particular, hp-toolbox doesn't list the printer if it's configured with a
usb:/ URI.) So in system-config-printer, look at the device URI and make sure
it's set to a hp:/ transport, if it's not, use the Change... button, the hp:/
URI should be listed as one of the options there.

I hope this helps. With all the work you are doing in the Fedora Project to
help us users, I'd be glad if I was once of help to you. :-)

        Kevin Kofler