hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 00:35:05 UTC 2007

On 3/28/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
[...]
> "use cups".  That's helpful.  I use the print administration tool found in my
> menu.  I don't care what backend that uses, I just want the printer to work.
[...]

AFAIK, system-config-printer is (was?) broken, and I've heard the same
advice multiple times on the user-list: use CUPS.  My memory ain't so
hot, but IIRC s-c-p should Just Work in F7.  Or maybe that's just a
bad memory by now.

As a counterpoint to your horror story: I just dug a HP PSC 1210
(multifunction) out of the garbage this very afternoon.  Took it home,
checked hplip was running, plugged it in, went to the CUPS interface
and added the HPLIP variant of the detected printer, and all is well
with the world - status, ink levels, scanning, etc.

I didn't even finish the reply before things went wonky :)  Looks like
the color cart is fragged.  Probably could have worked it out for
myself, but the hp-toolkit actually made it much easier.  I understand
that the program is sub-par (being generous here), but I haven't used
anything like it in *nix that can communicate with the device on that
level.

FWIW, I'm +1 on getting HAL and friends to decide if hplip should be
activated, also +1 for  putting the icon in the menu, and +1 for
pitching a bitch at HP to fix their mess.  But since I don't do any
work around here, maybe my vote should be +0.02 / +0.02 / +0.02 :)

Chris