hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 29 01:04:19 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating <jkeating <at> redhat.com> writes:
> I guess my point here is that how is an end user supposed to know this, when
> it isn't integrated correctly into the tool set we're putting out for
> managing printers on the desktop.

Well, the end user is supposed to get the hp:/ URI automatically, at least
since hal-cups-utils-0.6.3-1:

* Tue Jan 02 2007 Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> 0.6.3-1
- 0.6.3:
  - Applied all patches.
  - Added syslogging.
  - Use 'hp:' URIs when appropriate (bug #175555).
  - Put PPD NickName in info line instead of just 'Added by HAL'.
  - Don't add/remove new printer if one already exists with a matching URI.

The reason you didn't get the hp: URI is probably that hplip wasn't installed
when you plugged in the device.

        Kevin Kofler