Opinions: Providing "buildsys-macros" in the installed system

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Mar 29 14:00:57 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 09:23:29 pm Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 19:34 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > In our buildsystem we use a 'buildsys-macros' package that defines some
> > things during the package builds, like the definition of %{dist}, and of
> > %{fedora} or %{rhel}.  Now we're talking about adding even more macros to
> > add convenience for packagers that are packaging the same thing for
> > multiple Fedora releases and RHEL releases (Hurray EPEL!).
> >
> > However, with more of these macros in use, the usage case of rebuilding
> > the srpms on your local system starts to get harder, as these macros will
> > be undefined and you'll have interesting results.  Perhaps surprising
> > results. I propose we ship these macros in something like
> > redhat-rpm-config for each release, so that when somebody is rebuilding a
> > package on their system, the macros are defined correctly for whatever
> > release they are running.  If they are rebuilding for another
> > release/distribution, they really should be using mock, and having
> > redhat-rpm-config define the right things within their mock chroot.
> >
> > In the past I remember there being resistance to shipping these on the
> > installed system, however my Test3 addled brain is not able to recall
> > what those are.  Are there any differing opinions on this matter, anybody
> > that disagrees with me?  I'd love to hear it and thought out reasons
> > against taking the step.
>
> FWIW, I think this is a good idea.
>
> ~spot
FWIW so do I

I would like to see "__arch_install_post /usr/lib/rpm/check-buildroot\n"
added  which we use on the extras buildsys  which would require rpmdevtools
be installed on every box also.  which i don't think is a bad idea.  it does
some sanity checking on the buildroot.

--
Dennis Gilmore, RHCE